Carolyn Hughes SPHR, SHRM-SCP, P.Eng(Res)
With a Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering, Carolyn achieved her Professional Engineering certification in the Province of Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. She worked for many years in the field of information technology matching job tasks with emerging technology in industry and then in provincial government. Upon moving to Maine, Carolyn used her Industrial Engineering skills to develop programs for job safety (OSHA) and food safety (HACCP program) with Bristol Seafood.
In 2004 Carolyn took on the Human Resource Management role at Bristol Seafood and began to develop her expertise in this area through on-the-job training and continuing education through the Society of Human Resources and University of Southern Maine. In January 2014, Carolyn obtained her Senior Professional Human Resource certification through the Human Resource Certification Institute and in May 2015 added the Senior Certified Professional certification through the Society of Human Resource Management. While working with as the Director of Human Resources at the Town of Kennebunk, Carolyn gained experience in municipal systems and labor negotiation.
As an experienced HR senior professional, Carolyn can provide your company with a strategic outlook on the Human Resources functions needed to grow your business.
- Job function and procedural analysis to determine information needs and best methods for meeting the identified needs.
- Writing and managing the Request for Proposal (or Request for Quote) process for industry and for governmental agencies.
- Implementation and management of computerized HR systems - time and attendance systems, payroll systems and basic HRIS systems – from development of system requirements through ongoing systems management. Experience with both in-house and SaaS systems.
Food Safety (HACCP)
- Lead Hazard Analysis teams to identify food safety hazards and develop Critical Control Points.
- Write and implement a HACCP plan meeting food safety regulations and reflecting company culture. Includes training and auditing the front line workers responsible for meeting the Critical Control plans.
Worker Safety (OSHA and Workers Compensation)
- Development, implementation and ongoing operation of Safety policies and procedures for general industry and CDL drivers.
- Worker’s Compensation plan administration
- OSHA reporting
- ADAAA complaint light duty and back to work programs.
Human Resource Management
- Development, implementation and ongoing operation of HR functions including employment policies and practices that are in compliance with employment regulations including DOT regulations for commercial truck drivers.
- Job analysis and preparation of job descriptions including job hazard analysis and Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) job duties tests.
- Policies and procedures for recruiting, hiring and termination
- Design of compensation and benefit plans, payroll policies and regular payroll functions to meet company objectives and ease in operation and management.
- Attendance and paid time off systems to provide accurate payroll and management metrics.
- Employee records management (paper and HRIS) including Medical Record maintenance in compliance with HIPPA regulations.
- Provide meaningful employment metrics and reports for company management using tools such as HRIS, report writers, Excel and Word.
- Strategic planning of work force development and staffing to meet company goals and compliance with changing employment regulations.
- Development, implementation and management of training programs for employees, with an emphasis on safety, respect (harassment and diversity) and required job training.
- Labor relations and union negotiations.
Carolyn has served on the board of the Professional Engineers of Nova Scotia and been a Parent-Leader with the Cub Scout troop in Yarmouth. She is currently serving on the Board of the Portland Ovations.
Education and Certification
- Bachelor of Science, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia (1980)
- Bachelor of Engineering, Major in Industrial Engineering, Technical University of Nova Scotia, Halifax, Nova Scotia (1982)
- Professional Engineer of Nova Scotia (1985-2008 Resigned in good standing)
- Certificate of Human Resource Management, University of Southern Maine, Portland, Maine (2007)
- Senior Professional Human Resources Certification, Human Resources Certification Institution (2014)
- SHRM-SCP (Senior Certified Professional), Society for Human Resource Management (2015)